If You Ask Me (IYAM) is a free program that supports emerging filmmakers with mental health and/or addiction experiences to develop a short film in the company of like-minded peers in a supportive environment. Over the summer, a small group of filmmakers will be selected to engage in workshops led by industry professionals and receive mentorship from IYAM alumni. Workshop topics include: developing a script, production, directing, cinematography, editing, and sound. Filmmakers will have an opportunity to screen their work at the 28th Annual Rendezvous with Madness Festival currently set to run October 15-25, 2020.
Gillian Muller will facilitate this year’s program alongside mentors Saba Akhtar, Erum Khan, and James Knott.
This year IYAM will run virtually! Under the current conditions of self-distancing, filmmakers will be asked to push their own creative constraints by adopting strategies for filmmaking from home. Filmmakers will negotiate what it means to explore stories of mental health at this time and how recent global changes will affect a generation of filmmakers. All genre of film are welcome, such as documentary, experimental, fiction, and animation; all devices for filmmaking are welcome, whether it is phone, tablet, or any variety of camera!
Each filmmaker will receive:
– a screening opportunity at The Rendezvous with Madness Festival (RWM)
– a screening fee
– a festival pass to attend all RWM events
– access to bi-weekly skill-building workshops
– personalized mentorship
– connections with film and festival networks and potential collaborators
– future leadership opportunities with IYAM and Workman Arts
In order to be eligible for IYAM, you must be:
– between the ages of 16-25.
– be available from July to September to attend bi-weekly workshops and RWM.
– have the ability to join online workshops.
– currently live in Canada.
The application form for IYAM 2020 can be found here.
The deadline for applications is June 8th, 2020 at 11:59 PM EST.
If you have questions or require accessibility support to apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 647 373 5303.