Call for Performance Proposals Rendezvous With Madness 2019
Deadline: Wednesday, December 19, 2018
Workman Arts is accepting applications for performance work as a part of the Rendezvous with Madness Festival from October 10 – 20, 2019. The deadline for applications is Wednesday, December 19, 2018.
Workman Arts is an arts and mental health organization known internationally for its artistic collaborations, presentations, knowledge exchange, best practices and research on the impact of the arts on the quality of life of people living with mental health and/or addiction issues.
What is Rendezvous with Madness?
For the past 26 years, RWM has been the first and largest mental health film festival in the world. The 2018 Rendezvous with Madness Festival marked an expansion from its film festival roots to a multidisciplinary festival including visual art, performance, music, theatre and dance in addition to its core emphasis on media arts.
Where will performances take place?
There are three performance locations for the 2019 RWM Festival:
- Workman Arts, 651 Dufferin Street. There are multiple locations available in the building including a theatre, lower hall and chapel area. Productions with more complex technical requirements should request the theatre (see photo above).
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH), 1001 Queen Street West. There are multi-purpose rooms available in the Community Centre Building. Please note that the multi-purpose rooms will not be configured with a stage and will remain more like a classroom in both feel and functionality.
- Large Gallery Space (location TBD).
Performance work must be between 45-90 minutes in length. Artists retain sole responsibility for costs related to their production (rehearsal, technical elements etc.). There is no cost to participate in the festival and productions receive 70% of the box office revenue. Individual tickets prices range from PWYC to $12.
Productions also receive:
- Production bursaries of $500 per production
- Complete box office services
- Complete front of house services
- Basic technical elements in venues
- Promotional and marketing support
- Up to 30 hours of free rehearsal space in the Workman Arts Theatre
- Workman Arts will provide letters of reference for grant proposals, if needed.
- Artists must integrate the topic of mental health and/or addiction into the fabric of their work. We will prioritize projects where members of the artistic team have lived experience with mental health and/or addiction issues and where the content or subject matter addresses or explores mental health or addiction issues in a sophisticated and artistically grounded way.
- Artists must be available for a minimum of 5 performances throughout the festival (exact scheduling details will be negotiated upon acceptance).
- Artists must secure the necessary performance rights or permissions, including permission for actors in unions and associations, if necessary.
- Application deadline is Wednesday, December 19th at 5 PM
- Applicants will be notified of their acceptance no later than January 18th, 2019.
- Please submit applications using our online form (if necessary, you may submit your application as one PDF attachment to email@example.com – please review the application details before applying).
- To download this full call for submissions as a PDF file, click here.
- Please advise us of any accommodations required to ensure you can access and complete the submission.